Friday, November 09, 2007

defining a generation

for some it's the Beatles.
for some it's Dylan.
for me it's always been Neil Young.

I love so many bands and so many different kinds of music, but if I had to choose one band or one musician, it would be Neil Young. I've had obsessions with bands that will last a few years, then I tend to put the music away and remember it as a certain period of my life. The Pixies period. The Joy Division period. The Velvet Underground period. The Belle and Sebastian period. But Neil Young was never an artist I put away to bring out occasionally. Been listening to him ever since Buffalo Springfield.

Last night as we filed into Northrup Auditorium, I kept looking at the ticket in my hand. Never thought I'd hold one with his name on it.

He was amazing. His voice sounds like it did forty years ago. He started out with an acoustic set. He was the only one on stage, and would move from instrument to instrument. Then came the electric set and he pretty much blew the place away.



11-08-2007, Northrop Auditorium, Minneapolis, Minnesota
w/ Rick Rosas, Ben Keith, Ralph Molina, Anthony Crawford & Pegi Young

1. From Hank To Hendrix
2. Ambulance Blues
3. Sad Movies
4. A Man Needs A Maid
5. No One Seems To Know
6. Harvest
7. After The Gold Rush
8. Mellow My Mind
9. Love Art Blues
10. Love Is A Rose
11. Heart Of Gold
---
12. The Loner
13. Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
14. Dirty Old Man
15. Spirit Road
16. Bad Fog Of Loneliness
17. Winterlong
18. Oh, Lonesome Me
19. The Believer
20. No Hidden Path
---
21. Cinnamon Girl
22. Like A Hurricane

5 comments:

angie said...

Oh. My. God. That's so awesome. Totally green in AZ.

Alex Andronov said...

I so would have wanted to be here. And the next time he's in town I'm there.

To me Dylan has to be seen too. They are both on the list!

Jeff said...

What fun! I'm glad you got a chance to see Neil Young. I'm sure it was a great concert.

As you know, my one choice would be the Beatles.
Years ago I had a chance to see Paul McCartney when he came to Indianapolis. He was amazing. I know how you feel.

anne frasier said...

angie, it was amazing. and i should have mentioned that it was a birthday present from my kids.

alex, i wish dylan didn't play such massive venues. i saw him at the xcel center in st paul and the sound was unbelievably awful and dylan was just a white blur. we actually left before it was over because the sound was so bad. if he played a smaller place i would definitely try to see him again.

jeff, i know how you love the beatles! and that would have been pretty amazing to see paul.

Alex Andronov said...

He did play a smaller venue near me, but of course because it was smaller I couldn't get a ticket! But I wouldn't see him at an enormo-dome - I agree that there would be little point.