Thursday, September 15, 2005

speaking in lowercase

writing is hard -- on your body.
after years of sitting in front of the computer, i've developed arthritis in my neck and shoulder. not unusual for a writer. it's taken me several more years to come up with promising strategies for getting around the pain. the biggest thing was to get rid of my desktop. with a laptop, you can change positions throughout the day. stand, sit, lie down, get the keyboard as close as possible. i'm not left-handed, but i learned to use a mouse with my left hand. and i quit using the cap key!! every movement you can eliminate helps. and if you haven't yet developed problems, take care of yourself now.

7 comments:

Jeff said...

Good advice, Anne :)

Kelly Parra said...

I use desktop and laptop. I know I'll probably develop problems, but right now I'm just dealing with eye strain. Argh!

e-mom said...

which is why i rarely punctuate and capitalize.
My right shoulder is permanently broken from a incident with my father in childhood, I get horrible pains in it. The more i type in a day, the more it throbs.
and because it's my right arm and i'm right handed, it's really bad. i dont' type "properly" anyway and i sit at an angle that not only is bad posture and bad on my shoulder and wrist, it also leads to "pot belly" i need a puter that hangs from your neck so i can exercise while indulging in my addiction

anne frasier said...

yeah, sitting on your butt all day isn't healthy. i used to dream about ways to put a laptop on a treadmill. now i'm too lazy for that. :D

mixing it up is important. don't go to that default position every time you sit down.

Jer said...

I'm okay at work, but at home it's a little more uncomfortable. I do have a laptop as a third computer (can you believe the decadence?). But it's not wireless and is a little klunky. I use it for my travels. And I often type on it in bed, or on an ottoman in a hotel room. Unless the fleet's in, of course. Then I'm otherwise occupied. Jer

anne frasier said...

forgot to mention that unless i'm sitting on a couch that's really deep, i usually put my laptop on a bed tray -- otherwise the screen is way too low.

Christian said...

Really great blog! I noticed a mention about reactive arthritis . I thought you might be interested to hear that both my parents and several of their friends have had problems with arthritis and we have been very lucky to have come across Bioflow. They are sold at reactive arthritis and they have been worth every penny. They don't seem to work for everyone but they have helped reduce the pain in my parents arthritis so that they almost don't notice it any longer. They'd still be taking painkillers if it wasn't for wearing a Bioflow on their wrist