Saturday, April 22, 2006

final back-cover copy for Pale Immortal

cover copy:

The sleepy town of Tuonela, Wisconsin, is known for one thing: the killer who stalked its streets one hundred years ago, drinking the blood of his victims. And when the drained corpse of a young girl is found, the citizens fear their past has risen from the grave -- and point their fingers at one man....

Evan Stroud can never see the light of day. The prisoner of a strange and terrible disease, he lives in tragic solitude, taunted for being a "vampire" --until the son he never knew he had shows up in Tuonela, and is drawn into its depraved, vampire-obsessed underworld. Then Evan must rely on his childhood friend, coroner Rachel Burton, for help. But the evil that they face is powerful and elusive -- and about to take them to the very edge of madness.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anne, this is the first time I've seen the back cover picture and copy. I like it!! An intriguing sense of place and history and foreboding.

anne frasier said...

jason, the photo is mine. i just used it as a visual!
guess i didn't set up my post very well....

Jeff said...

This is very good, Anne. Potential readers will have a hard time leaving the store without a copy of this book in hand. :)

anne frasier said...

thanks, jeff! i think the cover-copy writer did a really good job.

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

Very cool! September where R U??

Rob Gregory Browne said...

I think this is great. I have only one quibble, but don't think anyone else will care. But since this is the comment section, I'll offer an unsolicited comment: the line "Then Evan must rely on his childhood friend, coroner Rachel Burton, for help" is a bit too cryptic to me. Help doing what? Help finding his son? Help saving the son? I'm not sure.

Like I said, nobody else will care, but I'm weird that way. Sorry to rain on the parade. The story sounds truly wonderful. Can't wait to read it.

anne frasier said...

rob, sadly the book has been through so many changes that i honestly don't even know if it's worth reading. it might be great. i might be awful. it might be a snooze. i've completely lost perspective, and the only thing i can do is wait and see what readers think.

Rob Gregory Browne said...

Don't worry, you're so damn talented, I truly doubt that it's bad. And I mean that.

I'm going through about my 300th read of my manuscript before it goes to the typesetter and I'm so sick of it I could puke. So I understand your loss of perspective.

emeraldcite said...

Well, anne, I think it sounds great. Ultimately, it came back to what you wanted in the first place, the book's natural state, and most likely its best state.

Wonder if that last sentence makes sense. Been a long week.

Where's my bottle of wine...There it is.

;)

anne frasier said...

emeraldcite: and it's only tuesday. i think.

emeraldcite said...

tell me about it.