Friday, April 07, 2006

on the stereo





ah, sonic youth.
sometime i forget how great they are.
i saw sonic youth, along with stereolab, a few years ago in the minneapolis outdoor sculpture garden at walker art center.

i love the way they go off on a tangent of abrasive noise, but under it is a light, airy melody that continues to build. the sound is haunting and mysterious. they have so many releases -- i haven't kept up with them all, but here are two of my favorites:


daydream nation







washing machine

7 comments:

Jeff said...

You know I always look forward to your on the stereo posts, Anne. New tunes for me to check out.
Thanks :)

emeraldcite said...

I love the washing machine cover. One of the best ever.

anne frasier said...

jeff, new old tunes. :D
i had to check -- washing machine came out in '95. wow. that's hard to believe.

emeraldcite: my son has always loved that cover too. my response has always been WTF? :D must be an age thing.

emeraldcite said...

i think they were actual fans at a concert who made their own shirts. the band took their pic and put it on the cover of the album.

that's what i remember anyway.

fuzzy times.

Mary Louisa said...

Oh yes! We saw SY and Stereolab on the same tour, I imagine--our show was at The Ritz in Raleigh. I scored a concert poster from one of the venue managers, and promptly LEFT IT BEHIND. DUH. I sure would love to have that little dealy on my wall. :(

anne frasier said...

emeraldcite: that sounds familiar now that you mention it!

mary louisa: i'll bet it was the same tour! it was either '99 or 2000.

too bad about the poster. :(
next time you mosh, you'll have to take it with you. ;)

anne frasier said...

vampran, i can't believe i don't have than album. i must get it...